Norton Shores, MI
Gum Disease Treatment in Norton Shores, MI
We Specialize In Advanced Gum Disease Treatment
If you're experiencing gum disease symptoms, seeking professional help is essential. At Community Shores Dental, we understand the importance of gum health and offer comprehensive gum disease treatment services in Norton Shores, MI. Our skilled team utilizes advanced techniques to combat gum infections, from non-surgical treatments to more complex procedures when necessary.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is a common oral health condition characterized by inflammation and infection of the gum tissues surrounding and supporting teeth. It begins with the accumulation of plaque, a sticky film of bacteria, on the teeth and gum line. If not effectively removed through proper oral hygiene practices, plaque can harden into tartar, leading to gum irritation and inflammation. In its early stage, called gingivitis, symptoms may include red, swollen, and bleeding gums. If left untreated, gum disease can progress to periodontitis, causing further damage to the gums and supporting structures of the teeth.
Causes of Gum Disease
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, can be caused by various factors. Some common causes include:
- Tobacco use
- Poor nutrition
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormonal changes
- Teeth clenching or grinding
Gum Disease Diagnosis & Treatment in Norton Shores
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is diagnosed through a comprehensive evaluation by a dental professional. During a dental examination, the dentist will assess the health of the gums, measure the depth of gum pockets around the teeth, and evaluate the level of gum recession, if present. X-rays may also be taken to assess the condition of the bone supporting the teeth. Based on the diagnosis, an appropriate treatment plan can be recommended. Gum disease treatment typically involves a two-fold approach: non-surgical and surgical treatments. Non-surgical treatments, such as professional dental cleanings (scaling and root planning), aim to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria from above and below the gum line. Surgical interventions may be necessary in more advanced cases, such as flap surgery, bone grafts, or tissue regeneration procedures.
Signs & Symptoms of Gum Disease
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, can exhibit various signs and symptoms. Here are common indicators to watch for:
- Red, Swollen, or Tender Gums – Healthy gums should appear pink and firm. If your gums are red, swollen, or tender to the touch, it may be a sign of gum disease.
- Bleeding Gums – Bleeding gums, especially during brushing or flossing, should not be ignored. It can indicate gum inflammation and early-stage gum disease (gingivitis).
- Receding Gums – As gum disease progresses, the gums may start to recede or pull away from the teeth. This progression can lead to the exposure of tooth roots, sensitivity, and an elongated appearance of the teeth.
- Persistent Bad Breath – Bad breath that doesn't improve with regular brushing, flossing, or mouthwash use may be a result of gum disease. The bacteria in the infected gums can produce foul-smelling odors.
- Loose or Shifting Teeth – Advanced gum disease can cause the teeth to loosen or shift position. These issues can cause changes in the way the teeth fit together when biting or chewing.
- Changes In Bite or Fit of Dentures – Gum disease can affect the alignment of the teeth, leading to changes in the bite or fit of dentures or other dental appliances.
- Pus or Abscess Formation – In some cases of advanced gum disease, an abscess or pus-filled sac may form between the teeth and gums, causing pain, swelling, and a bad taste in the mouth.
- Changes in Mouth Sensation – Gum disease may cause a change in the sensation of the mouth, such as a persistent metallic taste or a sensation of having something stuck between the teeth.
Contact Us for Comprehensive Gum Disease Treatment
Ignoring gum disease can lead to serious oral health issues. With Community Shores Dental’s specialized severe gum disease treatment services in Norton Shores, MI, you can take proactive steps toward gum health restoration. Our skilled team provides personalized care tailored to your specific needs, utilizing the latest techniques and technologies to apply gingivitis treatment effectively. Contact us to schedule your consultation and embark on the path to healthier gums.